Rules & Eligibility
- Both individuals must be 18 or older at the time of entry.
- Online registration must be completed no later than Dec. 31, 2017 at 11:59 p.m. PT.
- The Mentee has either 1) never had a hunting license until 2017, 2) only had a hunting license in 2016 (e.g. a second year hunter) or 3) not had a hunting license in the past five consecutive years (since 2012).
- Both individuals must have a valid 2017 Oregon hunting license and have either gone hunting together or intend to hunt sometime between Jan. 1-Dec. 31, 2017.
- Immediate family members are eligible to be mentors or mentees, as well as non-resident hunters.
- Safe, ethical and legal hunting must be practiced.
- Both individuals must follow rules and regulations in the 2017 Oregon Big Game and Game Bird Hunting Regulations. This includes the purchase and possession of all appropriate tags and validations by both the mentor and mentee (e.g. mentee may not hunt on the mentor’s tags like the Youth Mentor Program). In a situation where only one of the hunters draws a controlled big game hunt tag, the hunter without a tag may accompany his/her friend on the hunt but may not hunt. This means the hunter without a tag should not carry a rifle or bow in the field and cannot take a shot at the big game animal using their friend’s rifle or bow. Hunters without a controlled big game tag may carry a shotgun and hunt upland birds during valid bird seasons.
- Both individuals must follow the four basic rules of hunter safety which can be remembered as “MATT”:
- Muzzle – Control the direction of your muzzle at all times.
- Trigger – Keep your finger outside of the trigger guard until ready to shoot.
- Action – Treat every firearm as though it were loaded – open the action, and visually check to see if it is loaded. Firearms should be unloaded with actions open when not actually in use.
- Target – Be sure of your target, and what is in front of it and beyond it.
- Program participants who do not meet the above eligibility requirements will be withdrawn from the contest.
- ODFW employees are not eligible to enter the contest. Volunteers such as ODFW hunter education instructors are eligible to enter.
- Winners will be drawn and contacted in January of 2018.
Read the official rules.
Read the Frequently Asked Questions.Click Here to Register